Here is a step-by-step guide on how you can apply for Singapore citizenship to become a Singaporean citizen. Application process made easy!
How do you apply to become a Singapore citizen?
First of all, you have to be eligible to become a Singaporean citizen before you can ever apply for and then acquire a Singapore citizenship.
Who is eligible to apply to be a Singaporean citizen?
Here are the categories of people eligible to potentially get a Singapore citizenship:
- A PR for at least two years and aged 21 and above (you can apply with your spouse and any unmarried children aged below 21 within the context of a legal marriage or legally adopted by you)
- A PR for minimum two years and married to a Singapore citizen for minimum two years
- An unmarried child aged below 21 born within the context of a legal marriage to, or have been legally adopted by a Singaporean citizen
- A PR studying in Singapore and living here for at least 3 years (within which, at least one year as a PR); and have passed at least one national exam (e.g. PSLE, GCE ‘O’/ ‘A’ exams), or are in the Integrated Programme (IP)
- A PR and an aged parent of an existing Singaporean citizen
This goes without saying that you need to first have your Singapore PR application approved.
Additional factors which can affect your Singapore citizenship application
The following factors will also be important to ICA in determining the success of your Singapore citizenship application:
- Family profile
- Length of residency
- Professional and educational qualifications
- Existing economic contributions
- Ability to contribute to Singapore financially
- Ability to socially integrate locally
- Commitment to sinking roots (e.g. financial investment into Singapore)
- Track record during your permanent residence time period
- Character and law abiding nature
If you are eligible to become a Singapore citizen, here are the documents you need when applying
You will usually be required to have the following documents wherever applicable to you. Do ensure you have a photocopy of the following documents and the original at hand to apply:
- Birth certificate
- Current passport
- Foreign citizenship certificate
- PR card and certificate
- Educational certificates (high school and above)
- Marriage Certificate; Divorce Certificate; Separation Deed
- Death Certificate of ex-spouse, proof of child/children’s custody from previous marriage
- Deed Poll or Religious Certificate for change of name, if any
- Letter of employment from current employer
- Income tax notice of assessment for the last 3 years
- Last 6 months payslips for employees
- Last 12 months CPF contributions history for employees
- Latest ACRA business profile and balance sheet/profit and loss account of your business for business owners
What documents are required if it is your immediate family member(s) who needs help to become a Singapore citizen?
Your spouse will largely require a similar set of documents as stated above as you to apply.
Your children aged below 21 will need to produce their birth certificate, current passport and PR certificate when applying.
Are there any additional documents needed when applying to become a Singaporean?
The following additional documents can be very helpful:
- Proof of your purchased properties in Singapore
- Proof of your significant financial assets
- Cover letter summarizing key points of your citizenship application
How do you submit the documents?
You will need to log onto the e-Service online using your Singpass account using a desktop or laptop and submit the above necessary stated documents.
How long does the process to become a Singaporean citizen take?
In general, a Singapore citizenship application usually take six to 12 months to process.
For children born overseas to Singapore citizens, processing time is usually shorter within just two months from receipt of complete documents.
How do you check if you got an approval from ICA?
The main applicant (e.g. you) can simply log into MyICA to check the status or status updates.
ICA will also usually email the main applicant or sponsor any clarifications or status updates.
What happens after your Singapore citizenship application approval?
Congratulations! You will receive an Approval in Principle letter to complete the Singapore Citizenship Journey (SCJ). Upon completion of SCJ, you will receive the final approval letter indicating the appointment date and time to register for Singapore citizenship. You will be required to visit ICA premises to take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty.